Post by aftcra Guest Blogger, Jackie Riffice of Prairie Godmothers.
Prairie Godmothers believes in honoring American ingenuity by finding creative ways to reinvent new uses for old things. We want to repair what’s broken, put a shine to old things, and buy American when possible. We appreciate locally-made goods because they have the added value of building community through economic stimulation and provision of opportunities for volunteerism and education. Our aftcra picks fit very nicely with our vision of buying and gifting.
We Godmothers take pride in finding the best of the best and the selections from aftcra receive the Prairie Godmothers seal of approval this season with this handmade Christmas gift guide (and any season as a matter of fact):
1. FLYING ART GARDEN up-cycles aging flannel shirts with customized words and phrases on the back. Ingenious alternative to a boring t-shirt.
2. SHIRE RANCH SHOPPE collects twigs from the ranch and whittles them to perfectly imperfect plant markers. Buy pre-made sets for your veggies and herbs or have them carve a custom set for you.
3. WAX ALCHEMY blends several oils, butters and luscious scents to make this invigorating soap free of preservatives. Handmade, hand cut and just waiting to be shared.
4. BREW CITY BOTANICALS provides an immediate solution to the bane of every gardener: poison ivy. Certified organic ingredients are infused in a salve that should be part of everyone who work or plays in the outdoors.
5. THE SOOTHE CHEF gets the ‘scraggly’ out of beards with a secret blend of oils and scents that will tame the growth and give it some much needed softness. We like the Sampler that offers 3 different scents.
6. BEYOND DIVINE make showering a therapeutic experience! Their shower steamers release an aroma that will clear your sinuses and help you breathe much easier.
7. LIZ KING DESIGNS makes this awesome trio of microwaveable hot packs in soft cottons. They’re filled with organic buckwheat, flax and rice to provide moist heat for sore spots.
8 TERRAFIRMA 79 reclaims pallet wood and reinvents the wall clock! Lovely colors and distressed would result in a timely (pardon the pun) home accent. http://www.aftcra.com/terrafirma79/listing/609/modern-pallet-wood-repurposed-recycled-reclaimed-wood-wall-clock-sky-blue-nautical-numbers-great-gift-beach-house
About Jackie Riffice of Prairie Godmothers
In a busy Chicago train station, Jackie Riffice found her purpose in Prairie Godmothers. That day she challenged herself to share the gift of nature by passing out native flowers to the busy commuters. Their gratitude at her small gesture prompted her to create a company aimed at educating and inspiring others to embrace nature and gardening. A company founded on the premise that everything begins with one intentional step, and that making a difference is easy to do.
Through Prairie Godmothers she aims to cultivate in others a sense of shared responsibility as caretakers of our earth, while helping them discover the joy in nurturing native plants. Whether creating a lovely landscape, growing a vegetable garden, recycling or upcycling, there are many ways to live greener. She provides easy tips for anyone to make an impact, starting in their very own home and backyard.
When she isn’t traveling to help clients and communities embrace their green thumbs, she is spending time in her home garden in Flossmoor, IL.
Prairie Godmothers is committed to awakening and expanding the environmental conscience of everyone on the planet. We provide earth friendly products and simple ideas that help us reconnect with nature, inspire creativity and celebrate the art of the garden. Read our blog for tips on inviting nature to your yard and living a greener lifestyle. Shop our carefully curated online shop for finely crafted things for the garden and from the garden.
Connect with Jackie!